Sri Lanka’s Stunning Beaches
The beautiful island nation of Sri Lanka has no shortage of nature. What is the first thing that comes to mind when we say island? Beaches, of course. This is what Sri Lanka is famous for. People from all over the world come to discover Sri Lanka’s stunning beaches.
The picturesque views of these sandy beaches will make anyone’s dream beach vacation come true. The beaches are the perfect place to relax with the sound of the waves. Also, if you love water sports, you can have a blast in Sri Lanka. If you’re a beach babe and you’re visiting Sri Lanka to explore its coastline, you need to know about these Sri Lankan beaches.
Sri Lanka’s stunning beaches: The best list
Soak up the sun while you sip your favorite cocktail on your next trip to Sri Lanka’s best beaches, which we listed down for you:
1. Unawatuna beach
Unawatuna is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka, famous for its calm blue water. The unique selling point of this beach is that you might spot whale sharks if you’re lucky.
- Enjoy water sports like diving and snorkeling.
- Sunbathe on a beautiful golden sand beach.
- Take blessings at Yatagala Raja Maha Viharaya Temple.
- Pamper yourself with an Ayurvedic massage and pamper yourself at the sanctuary.
- Relax at Thaproban Beach House and enjoy authentic Sri Lankan cuisine.
When to visit: Late August and early September, when the rains start in mid-October.
Directions: Unawatuna is 150 km from Colombo’s Bandaranayaka International Airport. It would take just over 3 hours if you traveled by private vehicle.
2. Sri Lanka’s stunning beaches: Bentota Beach
Do you wish to have a beach holiday and stay at resorts that specialize in health and wellness centers and relaxing spas? If yes, Bentota is the perfect choice for you. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in Sri Lanka and an ideal escape for tourists who want to spend a few days away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The beach is very popular and one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka.
- This beach is relatively less crowded.
- Add jet skiing and kayaking to your bucket list.
- Visit the water conservation center and get a chance to release a turtle into the sea.
- Relax in the Ayurvedic centers and enjoy the relaxing spa.
- Book yourself a river safari.
- Start your morning with a bike ride in town.
When to visit: Late August to mid-October is the ideal time to visit Bentota Beach.
Directions: Bentota is connected to Galle and Colombo with a good network of buses.
3. Dikwella Beach
Dikwella is home to a number of luxury resorts where many newlyweds often come to celebrate their honeymoon. It is one of the best beach locations in Sri Lanka and offers the most peaceful environment.
- Dikwella Beach is another great place for swimming.
- Culture enthusiasts should visit the Dikwella Lace Center to see and learn lace-making techniques.
- Enjoy delicious dishes, mainly seafood pasta and vegetable curry.
Best time to visit: is February to April, and then August to October.
Directions: You can reach it by bus or maybe a taxi from Colombo.
4. Weligama beach
This is one of Sri Lanka’s stunning beaches that you shouldn’t miss. Weligama Beach on the southwest coast of the country is a great choice for a beach vacation. It is said to be the most beautiful beach in Sri Lanka. Here, you can click selfies with your group and loved ones. Don’t forget to put the pictures on Instagram for everyone to see.
- It is an ideal beach for surfing because there is no risk of sharks.
- It is an ideal destination for diving and snorkeling as it is guarded by a shallow coral reef.
- Enjoy the most amazing fishing views.
- Visit the statue of the Leper King. This is a carved statue of an old king whose identity is still unknown.
- Weligama Lace Factory is a place worth visiting. Here you can see women weaving lace, which is also sold to tourists.
- The gem and jewelry factory is also a place worth visiting.
When to visit: It would be best to plan your visit from October to March.
Directions: Catch a bus at the Matara bus station and hire a tuk-tuk from there; the journey will take about 30-40 minutes.
5. Galle Beach
Galle is a busy and popular city among locals and tourists. With a great history, Galle amazes with its architectural beauty, tropical weather, aroma of spices like cinnamon and cassava, and much more. The picturesque surroundings of Galle often attract many foreign artists, poets, and writers. Galle Beach is such a popular spot among visitors.
- Visit Galle Old Town to see its architectural beauty.
- Visit the Martin Wickramasinghe Museum Complex and experience the rich culture of Sri Lanka.
- Go around Galle city by bike.
- Make sure to visit Sinharaja Forest Reserve if you wish to catch a glimpse of amazing Sri Lankan wildlife.
When to visit: It would be best to visit between September and March.
Directions: The best way to reach Galle from Bandaranaike International Airport is by train or bus.
6. Induruwa beach
Induruwa Beach promises the natural beauty of villages and resorts. After spending quality time on the golden beach, you will feel light and refreshed. Be sure to wear flip-flops and loose-fitting half-sleeve T-shirts when you visit this beach.
- Enjoy a golden tan while sunbathing on the beach, enjoy long walks along the shores, and explore the Bopath Ella Falls.
- Induruwa Beach has several local markets where you can buy gifts for your loved ones.
- Visit the Freshwater Lagoon and the Maadu River for stunning views of the green landscape and bird and water attractions.
- Enroll in a wellness program and practice Ayurvedic practices to refresh yourself.
- Enlighten your senses in Batatolen Cave and visit the small town of Batugedara to search for precious gems and jewels.
When to visit: January–August are the best months to enjoy the beach to the fullest.
Directions: The most convenient and cheapest way to reach here is by train or bus.
7. Hikkaduwa beach
If you want to visit Sri Lanka’s stunning beaches, keep this one on your bucket list. Hikkaduwa Beach is characterized by some of the most luxurious hotels and nightclubs. This feature often attracts many foreign tourists. It promises plenty of untouched natural beauty and relaxation for body and soul. If you are considering a budget trip, you may want to skip this beach and check out some of the best beaches in Sri Lanka.
- Indulge in shopping at the local markets and treat yourself to silver jewelry and precious stones.
- Enjoy authentic Sri Lankan food at beach cafes and party late into the night at one of the best nightclubs.
- Be part of the local community celebrating the Hikkaduwa Beach Festival.
- Learn facts about life for turtles and corals in a coral sanctuary where turtle eggs are buried in the sand to hatch.
- Take a boat trip on a glass-bottom boat to see the most beautiful aquatic life in the coral reserve.
When to visit: We recommend planning your trip to Hikkaduwa Beach from March to September.
Directions: The most convenient and cheapest option is to take a taxi from the Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport.
8. Koggala Beach
Koggala is a small, cozy town that was built around World War II, shortly after the Japanese air raids. You can witness the rarest species of turtles in this area. That’s not all. This beach is famous among locals and tourists alike for its Instagram-worthy spots and the adventure sports you can indulge in here. You will have the time of your life here!
- Witness the rarest species of turtles, namely the wild turtles and leatherbacks.
- Rent a speedboat and explore the beautiful Koggala Lake.
- Stop at the Ananda Spice Garden, taste herbal wines, and purchase herbal products to help heal sunburn.
- Learn about Sri Lankan culture by visiting the Martin Wickramasinghe Folk Museum.
- The Kottawa Nature Reserve promises to be a beautiful excursion that showcases a wide variety of flora and fauna.
- Enjoy surfing at the beach between Koggala and Weligama Bay.
When to visit: Late July to October
Directions: The cheapest way to get here is by train.
9. Sri Lanka’s stunning beaches: Negombo beach
Negombo is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka and is popular with international visitors. It is near the airport. The architecture of the city of Negombo still has Dutch characteristics and is a must on a trip to Sri Lanka.
- Go on the bike path, explore the beautiful village, and take a boat trip to the coral reefs.
- The Blue Lagoon is the best place for bird watching.
- Try out diving and snorkeling.
- Go on an elephant trek and go through the dense forest. Discover your adventurous side while trekking in the forests.
- See some whales and dolphins in their natural habitat and enjoy amazing views of the roaring waterfall, especially during the monsoons.
When to visit: March to September are ideal to enjoy the beach to the fullest.
Directions: Buses leave from Negombo’s main bus stand for Colombo every 30 minutes. This is the cheapest and most convenient way to get here.
10. Arugam Bay beach
Arugam Bay is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka, especially known for surfing. The crystal-blue waters of Arugam Bay offer you opportunities for incredible underwater photography.
- Arugam Bay is synonymous with one of the best surfing spots in the world. You can rent all the basic equipment from a local shop and enjoy this activity.
- Reserve a lagoon for a slow and relaxing journey through the hidden treasures of Pottuvili Lagoon.
- If you happen to visit Arugam Bay during the off-season, you will be amazed to see millions of migratory birds.
- Plan a walk to Elephant Rock while enjoying the tranquility of this amazing beach.
- Visit the hilltop Hulannuga Caves, home to a reclining Buddha statue.
- Plan a trip to Yala East National Park, which is actually a twin park of Yala
- Ruhuna National Park and is famous for its elephants and leopards.
When to visit: The best months to visit Arugam Bay are March–October.
Directions: There are frequent shuttles from Colombo to nearby Pottuvil.
11. Nilaveli beach
This is yet another beach that we must highlight when we discuss Sri Lanka’s stunning beaches. Nilaveli Beach is a wide, sandy beach lined with palm trees that is popular with fishermen. It is located in the northeastern part of Sri Lanka, a 30-minute drive from the city of Trincomalee. Nilaveli is a secluded beach located on a small island. It is one of the most attractive beaches in Sri Lanka.
- Elegant and spacious accommodations around the beach
- Good lot for sightseeing spots
- Water sports such as diving
- Hot springs and pigeon islands
- There is also an old fort from colonial times that you should explore.
When to visit: November to May are the best months to visit Nilaveli Beach.
Directions: Nilaveli can be reached from Colombo airport in a few hours by public or private buses. You can also travel by car.
12. Beruwala Beach
Beruwala Beach, which is located 55 km south of Colombo is also known as the Golden Beach for its glittering golden sand. This beach offers countless adventure activities. So if you are a water sports lover, you need to visit Beruwala Beach. Palm borders add appeal to the entire landscape. This is one of the most amazing places to visit in Beruwala.
- Boat trip to the International Lighthouse
- Jet rides
- Jewelry fair
When to visit: October–April are the ideal months to enjoy the beach to the fullest.
Directions: You can reach Beruwala either by bus or train. Even if you have to change buses, fewer trains stop at Beruwala.
There you have it! Now you know all about Sri Lanka’s stunning beaches. If you love beach holidays, you definitely need to bring your vacation to Sri Lanka. You can go swimming, take long walks on the beach, or even try water sports if you’re feeling adventurous.
Whether you dream of a peaceful beach vacation with crystal blue waters while you sip your favorite cocktail or an adventurous beach vacation where you try jet skiing, snorkeling, and exploring underwater and the seaside, you can make your dream come true in this beautiful island country. So why wait? Plan your dream beach vacation in Sri Lanka and have the time of your life.
Sri Lanka Holiday Packages